Winn, Tyrrell take Baker City opener
BAKER CITY — Brad Winn (HPChiro-RPM Mortgage Cycling Team) and Leia Tyrrell (Ironclad/Yakima) won the Catherine Creek Road Race Friday during the opening stage of the 2013 Baker City Cycling Classic.
Winn finished 35 seconds ahead of teammate Trevor Spahr and a 12-rider lead group after the 115km stage. Rusty Dodge (Shuksan Velo Club) was third. Tyrrell finished 2:09 ahead of her teammate Anna Christiansen and 4:48 ahead of a larger group led in by Kristina Hughes (Hutch’s-Slocum-Co-Motion).
The riders headed north out of town on Highway 30 toward North Powder before turning and riding past giant white wind turbines over Telocast Hill into Pyles Canyon and the city of Union. The course turned southeast on Highway 237, taking riders past Catherine Creek State Park while skirting Frazier Mountain. The course continued through rolling hills down Highway 203 past Medical Springs and Pondosa, eventually turning back toward the long finishing straight outside Baker City. The day featured 814 meters of climbing over 115 kilometers.
The Baker City Cycling Classic continues Saturday with the morning’s Historic Baker City Time Trial, a 17km out-and-back test with 50 meters of climbing. The stage 3 Tour d’Town Criterium takes place Saturday evening on an L-shaped, flat-as-a-pancake course over wide city streets. The race concludes Sunday with the 164km Tour d’Horn, which takes riders to the top of Dooley Mountain after 1,800 meters of climbing.
BCCC Stage 1
Catherine Creek Road Race, 115km
1. Brad Winn (HPChiro-RPM Mortgage Cycling Team) 2:56:17
2. Trevor Spahr (HPChiro-RPM Mortgage Cycling Team) @:35
3. Rusty Dodge (Shuksan Velo Club) s.t.
4. Dwayne Farr (Soraz Racing-CAPA) S.t.
5. Hugo Fregoso (Elite Protocol-LOOK!) s.t.
Pro 1-2 Women
1. Leia Tyrrell (Ironclad/Yakima) 3:37:58
2. Anna Christiansen (Ironclad/Yakima) @2:09
3. Kristina Hughes (Hutch’s-Slocum-Co-Motion) @4:48
4. Jane Despas (Leopard-Sapporo Team) s.t.
5. Jennifer Burtner (Olympia Orthopaedic Associates) s.t.