Bassetti, Hall win Hood criterium
HOOD RIVER — It was a night for the California racers Saturday at the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic as Katharine Hall (Metromint Cycling) and Sam Bassetti (California Giant-Specialized) took the wins during the stage 3 Downtown Hood River Criterium.
The 1km course challenged riders with five corners — including a downhill corkscrew 180 — and more than 18 meters of climbing per lap, but the weather in Hood River was picture perfect for a night of racing.
Bassetti capped a dominant performance by the Cal Giant, team which also grabbed second with Jesse Goodrich and fourth with Stephen Leece. Only stage 1 winner Eric Riggs (Mike’s Bikes) was able to crack the Cal Giant stranglehold with a third-place finish.
The top of the General classification remained unchanged with CashCall Mortgage’s Logan Loader holding a 31-second lead over Craig Richey (Trek-Red Truck Racing) and 39 seconds over Justin Rossi (Marc Pro-Strava). Loader, who raced in Europe for three years before spending the 2012 season with Team Exergy, a UCI Continental squad, will have his work cut out for him defending yellow — sans teammates — during Sunday’s 146km Three Summits Road Race. The final stage also includes more than 3,100 meters of climbing. Loader said he stands a chance if his legs feel like they did Saturday morning when he won stage 2 and took over the race lead.
Sporting the solid-red skinsuit of the QOM leader, Hall was not only the stage winner but also the most aggressive rider throughout the race. The 26-year-old from Oakland, California, animated the race early in a solo breakaway that put the pressure on the field for several laps but eventually came back.
Hall set out again in the closing laps and gained just enough of a gap to barely hold off a hard-charging field led by Exergy-Twenty16′s Alison Tetrick. Overall leader (Pinnacle-Argon) Amy Thornquist finished third, followed by Sarah Clafferty (Pinnacle-Argon) and Molly Van Houweling (Metromint Cycling). The first 13 riders finished with the same time.
The top of the overall battle changed very little. Runner-up Tetrick gained two seconds on Thornquist via time bonus and now trails by 19 seconds, while Thornquist’s six-second time bonus for third helped pad her overall lead on the rest of the riders. Van Houweling is still third, now 1:47 back. Optum-Kelley Benefit Strategies rider Courtney Lowe is fourth, 2:52 down. Hall is in 10th, 5:38 back.
The 2013 Mt. Hood Cycling Classic concludes Sunday with the Three Summits Road Race. The women will tackle 112km and 2,500 meters of climbing.
Check out the PHOTO GALLERY for this stage.
Mt. Hood Cycling Classic
Stage 3: Downtown Hood River Criterium
Pro/1/2 Men Stage
1. BASSETTI, Sam (California Giant/Specialized) 1.15’22″ bonus 10″
2. GOODRICH, Jesse (California Giant/Specialized) s.t. bonus 6″
3. RIGGS, Eric (Team Mike’s Bikes-Incase) s.t. bonus 4″
4. LEECE, Stephen (California Giant/Specialized) s.t.
5. HERRMANN, Ariel (Metromint Cycling) @02″
Pro/1/2 Men General Classification
1. LOADER, Logan (CashCall Mortgage) 5.23’08″
2. RICHEY, Craig (Trek-Red Truck Racing) @31″
3. ROSSI, Justin (Marc Pro – Strava) @39″
4. COGBURN, Cameron (CCB Racing) @40″
5. CRANE, Ian (Hagens Berman Cycling) @1’19″
Pro 1/2 Women Stage
1. HALL, Katharine (Metromint Cycling) .46’05″ bonus 10″
2. TETRICK, Alison (Exergy TWENTY16) s.t. bonus6″
3. THORNQUIST, Amy (Pinnacle-Argon) s.t. bonus 4″
4. CLAFFERTY, Sara (Pinnacle-Argon) s.t.
5. VAN HOUWELING, Molly (Metromint Cycling) s.t.
Pro/1/2 Women General Classification
1. THORNQUIST, Amy (Pinnacle-Argon) 18 4.12’22″
2. TETRICK, Alison (Exergy TWENTY16) @19″
3. VAN HOUWELING, Molly (Metromint Cycling) @1’47″
4. LOWE, Courtney (Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies) @2’52″
5. BELLEROSE, Julie (Metromint Cycling) @3’09″
Complete results are HERE.