Wicks, Orton fastest in Echo
ECHO — Barry Wicks started the 2012 mountain bike season with a win at the Echo Red to Red XC race Saturday in north east Oregon. Wicks’ first win at the four-year-old race also gives the Kona rider the early lead in the nine-event Oregon XC Series. Beth Ann Orton of Portland had the fastest women’s time of the day.
Series promoter Mike Ripley reported via Twitter that 525 riders lined up to tackle the open trails on the edge of the Palouse for the 2012 season opener. The figure marks a steady increase for the race, which saw 175 riders for the first run in 2009 and reached 420 by last year.
Wicks put in a dominant performance on his way to winning the Pro men’s race, setting a time of 2:10:21 and coming in three minutes faster than runner-up Logan Wetzel, a Noble Bikes rider out of Bellingham, Wash. Team S&M’s Patrick Means was third, more than six minutes behind Wicks.
Orton had an even greater margin for the win in the women’s race, covering the course in 2:44:15 and building a gap of more than three minutes over runner-up Alice Drobna (Webcyclery). With a time of 2:50:31, third place Shannon Holden (Vanderkitten) of Spokane was the fastest Pro woman.
Echo Red to Red
1. Barry Wicks 2:10:21 (Kona)
2. Logan Wetzel 2:13:48 (Noble Bikes)
3. Patrick Means 2:16:57 (Team S&M)
4. Brig Brandt 2:17:52 (Silverado-Sunnyside Sports)
5. Brent Gorman 2:21:26 (Volkswagen Boise Cycling Team)
Pro-Cat 1 Women
1. Beth Ann Orton 2:44:15 (Team S&M)
2. Alice Drobna 2:47:23 (Webcyclery)
3. Shannon Holden 2:50:31 (Vanderkitten) *Pro winner
4. Tina Brubaker 2:52:07 (Upper Echelon Fitness)
5. Laura Winberry 2:54:22 (Upper Echelon Fitness)
1. Dejay Birtch 2:21:15 (Niner/Hayes/Ergon)
2. John Bravard 2:24:30 (Cyclepath)
3. Cordino Longiotti 2:25:28 (Sappo Hill Soapworks/DeSalvo Custom Cycles)
4. Scotty Carlile 2:27:33 (ScottyCarlile.com)
5. Mat Barton 2:32:09 (Stacatto Gelato)
Complete results are HERE.