Wait-Molyneux, Walle win at Montinore
FOREST GROVE — Brianna Walle (Ironclad Performance Wear) added her 10th win to an ever-increasing list of 2012 victories Sunday at the Montinore Road Race south of Forest Grove, while Colby Wait-Molyneux battled back from an illness he contracted in Belgium racing with the Junior national team to notch another OBRA Senior men’s win.
Walle and her Ironclad squad raced aggressively throughout the eight-lap, 80k event, along with Hutch’s rider Kristina Lackner, but none of the day’s moves was able to stay clear on the tight 10k circuit that served up one significant climb, some rollers and a lot of cornering.
Walle eventually broke free solo on the final lap, building a gap of more than a minute on runner-up Lackner by the finish and nearly two minutes over the field. Walle’s teammate Anona Whitley took the bunch sprint for third.
The men’s Cat 1/2/3 race started with a first-lap breakaway by HPChiro/Alpine Mortgage’s Galen Mitterman and Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing’s Elie Romer. The duo built a lead approaching three minutes before the peloton took up the chase in earnest, slowly peeling back time from the leaders on each lap of the 10-lap race.
With two laps remaining, Mitterman and Romer had a 1:20 lead on the pack, which was lined out going through the finish. One lap later, Mitterman took the bell for the final alone, dangling just in front of the field that had already reabsorbed Romer.
The bunch quickly snapped up Mitterman and reshuffled for the finale. With less than 10k remaining, any further attacks on the narrow, rural roads were quickly handled, and the field approached the final trip up Plumlee Road and the finish together.
Wait-Molyneux jumped off the front on the last right-hand corner, about 100 meters from the line, and opened an advantage of several bike lengths by the finish. Portland Bicycle Studio’s Ryan Kelly led the rest home for second, finishing just inches ahead of HPChiro’s Josh Liberles.
Montinore Road Race
May 6, 2012
Men Cat 1/2/3
1. Colby Wait-Molyneux (Hammer/CMG Racing)
2. Kelly Ryan (Portland Bicycle Studio)
3. Josh Liberles (HPChiro/Alpine Mortgage)
Women Cat 1/2/3
1. Brianna Walle (Ironclad Performance Wear)
2. Kristina Lackner (Hutch’s)
3. Anona Whitley (Ironclad Performance Wear)
Masters 35+ Cat 1/2/3
1. Sheagley, Eric (Veloce Racing/Smith & Nephew)
2. Campbell, Dave (Hutch’s-Co-Motion)
3. Sargent, Andrew (Evolution Racing Team)
1. Holland, Steven (United Finance)
2. Meadors, Ivan (United Finance)
3. Zale, William (West End Bikes/Specialized)
Men Cat 4/5
1. lalomia, cole
2. Farver, Benjamin (Jens Voigt’s Army)
3. Guernsey, Ben (Trusty Switchblade)
Women Cat 4/5
1. Winberry, Laura
2. Westbrook, Stacy
3. Beko, Jeanne (Athletes Lounge Cycling Team)
Masters 35+ cat 4/5
1. Ducloo, Rogier (Pacific Power Blue Sky)
2. Francesconi, Ryan (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing)
3. Usher, Craigan (Showers Pass)
Complete OBRA reesults are HERE.