Tyrrell, Liberles win 1st Raven TT
AMITY — Josh Liberles returned from Italy in time to set the best overall time at the first race of the As the Raven Flies Time Trial series in the Willamette Valley near Salem. Leia Tyrrell continued her impressive comeback to racing by setting the fastest time for the women — and the 11th fastest time of the nearly 70 competitors.
Liberles covered the 12-mile out-and-back course in 26:51.70, more than a minute and a half faster than runner-up Daniel Quirk, who set a mark of 28:16.30. Eric Sheagley was third at 28:37.10.
Tyrrell took out her second time win and third podium finish with the fastest women’s time at 29:55.30. Masters 40+ women’s winner Brenda Spinney covered the course more than two minutes slower at 31:59.80 the second-fastest women’s time. Masters 50+ women’s winner Cindy Mccasker was the third-fastest woman with a mark of 34:40.70.
The second race of the series takes off May 28 and will be the fifth event of the eight-race Oregon Time Trial Cup.
As The Raven Flies TT #1
April 29, 2012
1. Liberles, Joshua (HPChiro/Alpine Mortgage) 26:51.70
2. Quirk, Daniel (Veloce Racing/Smith & Nephew) 28:16.30
3. Sheagley, Eric (Veloce Racing/Smith & Nephew) 28:37.10
1. Tyrrell, Leia (Sorella Forte/St Honoré Bakery) 29:55.30
2. Spinney, Brenda (Pacific Power Blue Sky) 31:59.80 *Masters 40+ Women’s winner
3. McCasker, Cindy (Portland Velo) 34:40.70 *Masters 50+ Women’s winner