Slack, Frye lead Baker City Classic
BAKER CITY — Erik Slack (Volkswagen Boise) and Sam Krieg (Idaho Kidney/ICE) put more than four minutes into the field during Friday’s opening stage of the Baker City Cycling Classic in eastern Oregon. The two leaders broke away early in the 72-mile road race and steadily built their winning gap. Guinness Cycling Team’s Evan Siroky tried to bridge but was 1:14 behind the two leaders at the finish. Hot Tubes junior rider Colin Joyce brought the field home at 4:08.
The women’s Cat 1/2/3 race came down to a bunch sprint among seven riders, with Ski Utah-MarketStar’s Alison Fryne taking the win in front of Team Redline’s Kari Studley and Sorella Forte’s Leia Tyrrell. Two more riders came in 32 seconds behind the seven leaders, while the rest of the field came in one at a time, more than five minutes down.
The race continues today with the Historic Baker City Time Trial in the morning and the Tour d’Town Criterium around the main street downtown. Sunday’s Tour d’Horn road race finishes on top of Dooley Mountain after 101 miles and nearly 6,000 feet of climbing.
1. Slack, Erik (Volkswagen Boise) 2:49:28
2. Krieg, Sam (Idaho Kidney/ICE) same time
3. Siroky, Evan (Guinness Cycling Team) @ 1:14
4. Joyce, Colin (Hot Tubes Development Team) @ 4:08
5. Thompson, Ben (BendBroadband/WebCyclery.com) @ 4:08
1. Frye, Alison (Ski Utah-MarketStar) @ 3:21:59
2. Studley, Kari (Team Redline) same time
3. Tyrrell, Leia (Sorella Forte/St Honoré Bakery) same time
4. Despas, Jane same time
5. Slawta, Jenny (Land Shark) same time
Complete OBRA results are HERE.