Shaw, Hartrich win Hood stage 1
THE DALLES — Breakaways ruled the day in both the men’s and women’s races during the first stage of the 2012 Mt. Hood Cycling Classic southeast of The Dalles, with ExergyTWENTY12′s Rhae Shaw grabbing the womens stage win and Athletix Cycling/Globalbike’s Coulton Hartich crossing the line first for the men.
Shaw and teammate Alison Tetrick broke away with mountain bike pro Kelli Emmett (Giant Bicycles) early in the women’s 90 km race. The two teammates eventually dropped Emmett on the way to the finish and crossed the line with arms aloft. Shaw edged slightly ahead of Tetrick for the win, while Emmett held on for third more than 2 minutes later. Shaw’s 10-second bonus for the win puts her in the race leader’s yellow jersey for stage 2, while Tetrick earned a six-second bonus for second along with the red mountains jersey for best climber on the day. Emmett got a four-second bonus for third.
A two-rider breakaway also animated the 138 km men’s race early, with Hartrich and Cal Giant Berry Farms/Specialized rider Nate Wilson escaping the peloton on the second of five laps and holding their lead all the way to the line. Hartrich gained an advantage over his younger foe on the short climb to the finish. Wilson grabbed second and claimed the mountains jersey, while his teammate Stephen Leece won the field sprint for third.
Check out the stage 1 Photo Galley.
Mt. Hood Cycling Classic
Stage 1 Columbia Hills Road Race
1. Coulton Hartrich (Athletix Cycling/Globalbike) 3:25:59
2. Nate Wilson (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @:07
3. Stephen Leece (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @:20
4. Logan Owen (Hagens Berman) s.t.
5. Rob Scheffler (Freemon Bank) s.t.
1. Rhae Shaw (ExergyTWENTY12) 2:34:01
2. Alison Tetrick (ExergyTWENTY12) s.t.
3. Kelli Emmett (Giant Factory Team) @2:35
4. Jenny Lehmann (Trek/Red Truck) @5:19
5. Hilary Billington (Veloce/Smith & Nephew) @5:19