Moss, Holcomb start Monday PIR with wins
PORTLAND — Weekly racing at PIR for women and Masters men rolled into action Monday night under unseasonably cool temperatures and eventually clear skies. More than 120 riders ventured onto Portland International Raceway’s smooth, wide tarmac to kick off the 2011 series that runs through August.
Sorella Forte’s Jan Moss hammered out a one-point win and an early series lead in the women’s Open race. Moss and Ironclad Performance Wear’s Anna Christiansen formed an early breakaway that stayed out front of field for a majority of the race. The pair battled for hot spot sprints throughout the race, with Moss piling up enough early points to overcome Christiansen’s victory in the final sprint. Ruckus Test Team’s Andrea Fisk led the field home for third.
In the men’s Masters 30+ Cat 1/2/3 race, West End Bikes’ constant presence at the front of the tight 50-rider field paid off with a win for team rider Joe Holcomb, who collected 24 points on the night. West End teammate Christian Tresser, a dominant rider in both Monday and Tuesday night PIR races last year, finished second with 14 points. Ironclad Performance Wear’s Jeff Harwood sprinted to third with 11 points.
In the Novice men’s and women’s races that started the evening of racing, Verge’s Inge Wortman won the women’s event in front of Kristi Carver and Teresa Olson. Scott Morrison won the men’s race, finishing ahead of Yonsoo Lee (Portland Velo) and Raymond Crepeau.
Team Oregon/Laurelwood’s Stephen Niquet won the inaugural men’s Masters 30+ Cat 4/5 race, finishing the evening with 20 points. Eric Anderson (Pacific Power Blue Sky) finished second with 12 points. Douglas Murphy (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) was third, also with 12 points.
Check out the complete PHOTO GALLERY.
1. Wortman, Inge (Verge) 15
2. Carver, Kristi 12
3. Olson, Theresa (KIRR) 10
4. Satterfield, Vivian (Ruckus Test Team) 8
5. DeForest, Leah (Artisan) 7
1. Morrison, Scott 15
2. Lee, Yonsoo (Portland Velo) 12
3. Crepeau, Raymond 10
4. Nemecek, Andrew 8
5. Mantifel, Russell 7
1. Moss, Jan (Sorella Forte) 16
2. Christiansen, Anna (Ironclad Performance Wear) 15
3. Fisk, Andrea (Ruckus Test Team) 13
4. Wohlert, Karin (Sorella Forte) 10
5. Miller, Gabi (Sorella Forte) 7
Masters Men 30+ Cat 1/2/3
1. Holcomb, Joseph (West End Bikes/Specialized) 24
2. Tresser, Christian (West End Bikes/Specialized) 14
3. Harwood, Jeff (Ironclad Performance Wear) 11
4. Mitchem, John (West End Bikes/Specialized) 11
5. Wessel, Robin (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 8
Masters Men 30+ Cat 4/5
1. Niquet, Stephan (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 20
2. Anderson, Eric (Pacific Power Blue Sky) 12
3. Murphy, Douglas (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 12
4. Sutton, Alan (Cyclepath Racing) 10
5. Barczak, Andy (Team Bike Tires Direct) 7
Complete OBRA results are HERE.