Gallant gallops to PIR Tuesday win
PORTLAND — Looking like Davis Phinney had been shot out of the ’80s onto the tarmac at Portland International Raceway, Brendon Gallant galloped to the win ahead of a 100+ rider field in his red, white and green retro 7-Eleven jersey, taking the opening race of the PIR Tuesday Nighter May series.
A crash in the finishing straight split the field during the final charge to the line and saw several riders hit the deck hard, but Gallant got an early advantage and held on for the win in front of last month’s double-winner Steven Beardsley (Gentle Lovers).
By a combination of the final sprint and his results in hot-spot laps throughout the race, Gallant tallied 20 points on the evening for the overall win. Beardsley finished second overall with 15 points. Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing’s Stephen Bedford, who was third in the final sprint, was also third overall with 15 points.
In the Cat 3/4 race, Brian Kesselman added up 15 points to take the win in front of Joseph Dengel (West End Bikes/Specialized) with 13 and Dwayne Farr (Soraz Racing) with 12. Team Cthulhu’s Byron Breeden got 15 points and the Cat 4/5 win. Daniel Sharp (Embrocation Cycling Journal) was second. Stephan Roberts (Cyclepath Racing) was third.
PIR Tuesday Nighter
1. Gallant, Brendon (Guinness Cycling) 20
2. Beardsley, Steven (Gentle Lovers) 15
3. Bedford, Stephen (Team Oregon/Laurelwood) 15
4. Liberles, Joshua (HPChiro/Alpine Mortgage Planning) 8
5. Heaberlin, Cliff (Guinness Cycling) 7
1. Kesselman, Brian 15
2. Dengel, Joseph (West End Bikes/Specialized) 13
3. Farr, Dwayne (Soraz Racing) 12
4. Levesque, Keith (Rogue) 8
5. Nelson, Eric (Soraz Racing) 7
1. Breeden, Byron (Team Cthulhu) 15
2. Sharp, Daniel (Embrocation Cycling Journal) 12
3. Roberts, Stephan (Cyclepath Racing) 10
4. Bailey, Killian (Beaverton Bicycle Club) 8
5. Harder, Dustin (Harder Cycling) 7
Complete OBRA results are HERE.