Crash shortens PIR Tuesday Nighter
PORTLAND — The last of three crashes in the Cat 3/4 race shut down the racing at the PIR Tuesday Nighter before the Cat 1/2/3 race could finish. Touched wheels in the back half of the pack on the long straightaway during the final rush to the line spread havoc from left to right through the bunch and took down and handful of riders. The course was immediately closed while emergency personnel cared for two injured racers, who eventually left via ambulance.
Steven Beardsley (Gentle Lovers) and Brendon Gallant (Guinness Cycling Team) were neck and neck on hot spot sprint bonuses in the Cat 1/2/3 group at the time, each gathering six points by racing’s end. Todd Littlehales had earned two points, and Ryan Kelly (Portland Bicycle Studio) had collected one.
The Cat 3/4 race did finish for those who avoided the crashes. Ironclad Performance Wear’s Mark Crawford piled up 17 points for the win. Dwayne Farr of Soraz Racing was second with 15. Stephan Niquet (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) was third with 12.
The 17 points Austin Aske (Soraz Racing) earned in the Cat 4/5 race were good enough for the win. Rob Fleskes (Harder Cycling) was second in that race with 12. Dustin Harder (Harder Cycling) was third with 10 points.
Check out the complete PHOTO GALLERY for this race.
PIR Tuesday Nighter
1. Steven Beardsley (Gentle Lovers) 6
2. Brendon Gallant (Guinness Cycling Team) 6
3. Todd Littlehales (Rapha Racing NW) 2
4. Ryan Kelly (Portland Bicycle Studio) 1
*Cat 1/2/3 field cancelled before final
1. Crawford, Mark (Ironclad Performance Wear) 17
2. Farr, Dwayne (Soraz Racing) 15
3. Niquet Stephan (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 12
4. Zuhairy Ahmed (Portland Portland State University) 8
5. Goodrich, Scott (West End Bikes/Specialized) 8
1. Aske, Austin (Soraz Racing) 17
2. Fleskes, Rob (Harder Cycling) 12
3. Harder, Dustin (Harder Cycling) 10
4. Rotstein, Zach (West End Bikes/Specialized) 8
5. Hartnett, John (Soraz Racing) 7