Akeroyd, Hansen hold Oregon Cup leads
Jake Hansen and Jen Akeroyd will take their Oregon Cup leads into series race #5 this weekend at the Mt. Tabor.
Hansen (Word/RCB) held onto his Oregon Cup lead by a whisker after the April 30 Eugene Roubaix, the fourth race of the series. Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing’s Andrew Boone scored his second consecutive series win in Eugene and climbed to within 10 points of the leader, but Hansen, who won the first two races of the series, finished 10th for 20 points on the day to preserve his lead. Consistent Brendon Gallant (Guinness Cycling Team) sits in third, 105 points behind Hansen.
Sorella Forte’s Akeroyd added to her commanding advantage in the women’s series with a win at Eugene Roubaix. Akeroyd has 325 points, a 145-point lead over second-place rider Anne Usher Davis (Upper Echelon Fitness) at 180. Sarah Fletcher (Therapeutic Associates/Sagebrush Cycles) is in third with 150 points.
The Oregon Cup is a year-long points series for individuals and teams. Three races remain in the seven-race series.
Next up is the Mt. Tabor Circuit Race on May 21. The Senior men will tackle 30 laps of the dormant volcano in southeast Portland for 39 miles and 4,050 feet of climbing. The Senior women will race 12 laps for 15.6 miles and 1,620 feet of climbing.
The High Desert Omnium Road Race in Bend follows on July 10 for race #6. The series travels across the Columbia River into Washington for the Vancouver Criterium on July 31, the sventh and final 2011 Oregon Cup race.
OREGON CUP STANDINGS
1. Jake Hansen (Word-RCB) 220.0
2. Andrew Boone (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 210.0
3. Brendon Gallant (Guinness Cycling Team) 115.0
4. Elijah Romer (Team Oregon/Laurelwood Brewing) 104.0
5. Taylor Kneuven (West End Bicycles) 93.0
6. Zach Winter (Guinness Cycling Team) 91.0
7. James Adamson (Gentle Lovers) 80.0
8. Cliff Heaberlin (Guinness Cycling Team) 75.0
9. Jacob Rathe (Chipotle Development Team) 75.0
10. Paul Bourcier (Hutch’s-Eugene) 75.0
1. Jen Akeroyd ( Sorella Forte) 325.0
2. Anne Davis Usher (Upper Echelon Fitness) 180.0
3. Sara Fletcher (Therapeutic Associates/Sagebrush Cycles) 150.0
4. Lisa Turnbull (Team REP) 135.0
5. Brianna Walle (Ironclad Performance Wear) 120.0
6. Lindsay Fox (Athletes Lounge) 110.0
7. Sue Butler (River City Bicycles) 100.0
8. Jessica Kaplan (Therapeutic Associates/Sagebrush Cycles) 98.0
9. Anna Christiansen Ironclad Performance Wear 82.0
10. Elise Huggins Upper Echelon Fitness Women’s Cycling 80.0
2011 Oregon Cup Races
March 13 – Banana Belt 2
March 26 – Piece of Cake Road Race
April 09 – Kings Valley Road Race
April 30 – Eugene Roubaix
May 21 – Mt. Tabor Circuit Race
July 10 – High Desert Omnium Road Race
July 31 — Vancouver Criterium