Landis arrives; Sergent & Powers get the wins
BEND — Jesse Sergent (Trek-Livestrong U23 Team) and Alison Powers (Vera Bradley Foundation) will start stage 1 of the Cascade Cycling Classic after winning the Old Mill Prologue Time Trial Monday night. Sergent covered the course in 0:03:35.8, just one-tenth of a second faster than teammate Alex Dowsett and half a second faster than third-placed Rory Sutherland (UnitedHealthcare), one of the favorites for the overall.
Powers set the fastest women’s mark at 3:53.5, four-and-a-half seconds faster than Keller Rohrbach’s Tara Whitten of Canada and six seconds faster than Cath Cheatley (Colavita/Baci Pro Cycling) of New Zealand.
The race also received big news Monday when word spread that Floyd Landis would be a late entry. Landis showed up for the prologue in plain black shorts and a gray T-shirt, finishing 91st, 15 seconds off the winning mark. ABC’s Nightline television show will be following Landis during the race for an upcoming episode.
Race promoter Chuck Kenlan told VeloNews that Landis called and asked to fill an open spot, and he had no reason to deny him the opportunity.
“He said he wanted to race his bike and he wanted to come alone and I didn’t have any reason to say, ‘no, we don’t want you in the race,’” Kenlan told veloNews. “He has a license and he’s a member in good standing. I cleared it with sponsors and also informed USA Cycling and they said there’s nothing that should keep him from racing. So, I’ve done my due diligence.”
Check the complete prologue report and more photos at VeloNews.com.
Cascade Cycling Classic
Prologue Time Trial
Tuesday, July 20
1. Jesse H Sergent (USA) Trek-LIVESTRONG 03:35.8
2. Alex Dowsett (USA) Trek-LIVESTRONG +0.1
3. Rory Sutherland (USA) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling +0.5
4. Taylor Sheldon (USA) Holowesko Partners +1.8
5. David Tanner (Aus) Fly V Australia +2.5
1. Alison Powers (USA) Team Vera Bradley Foundation :03:53.5
2. Tara Whitten (Can) Keller Rorhback Cycling Team +4.5
3. Alison Starnes (USA) Team TIBCO +6.4
4. Cath Cheatley (NZl) Colavita/Baci Pro Cycling +8.1
5. Meredith Miller (USA) Team TIBCO +9.5